Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jet lag

Right now it is 6 o'clock in the morning. I woke up at 4ish, laid in bed till 4:30, read until 5, studied Marathi until 5:30, and now I am clearly updating my blog. Bloody jet lag! I thought yesterday when I woke up at 6 instead 4 that I was well on my way to a normal sleep pattern. Wrong. My body woke up at 12:30 laid awake for awhile, went back to sleep and then promptly woke up at four, with no intention of falling back asleep. Fighting the urge to wake up and organize my accumulated piles of clothes, books and various REI travel gear was very difficult, but I did my best until the memory of falling asleep last night without having finished reading Family Matters dawned on me. "Thank God," I thought, "a legitimate reason to get up!" In addition to finishing the book I also made flash cards for every single Marathi character and phrase we had learned so far, and then checked all my email, and did a rather extensive reading of facebook updates and threads. God I want to be asleep right now! Just like yesterday and the day before I know that it will hit 3 o'clock and I will be so tired that the performance of basic English and motor skills will become a threat to my well being. Have you ever tried to cross an Indian street on four hours of sleep? It is no small task. Rickshaws, motor bikes, buses, cars; they all really don't care that you want to cross the street, and when you are in the middle of it they don't bother to stop.

In response to the immense amount of time I now have, I will wait here for god knows how long to post one of my favorite pictures.




 This is Mumbai, well maybe the outskirts, we were on our way to Pune on this highway when we pulled over and I took this picture.



 Now that the sun has come up, I will put aside my dying computer and read North and South until I can justify taking a shower.

Good Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment